[ncl-talk] labelbar

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 6 11:28:11 MDT 2019

Hi Frank,

Apologies for the delay in response -- I've been in a hectic workshop these
past 3 days. I sat down to look at this problem. Indeed, the source of the
warning message is that one of the labelbar end-values is a space. In
looking into how that comes to be, I stumbled across this note in the docs
for cnLabelBarEndStyle:

IncludeMinMaxLabels The two end boxes represent the fill color and/or
patterns used for areas of the plot where the data is below the minimum
contour level or above the maximum contour level. The first and last
labels, representing the minimum and maximum values in the field, are
aligned with the exterior boundaries of the outer boxes. However, if the
minimum and/or maximum field values fall within the range specified by the
minimum and maximum contour levels, one or both of these labels will be set
to an empty string.

The range of data values in this particular example is on the order of -29
... -14.5  Indeed, if I set the min/maxLevelVals to something like -25/-15,
I do get a labelbar that has the outer edges labelled.

So, it seems the code is behaving in a manner intended, and I'm not sure
what to suggest. You could force the issue by explicitly labeling the
labelbar, if you really want a guaranteed span of values.

I wish I had a better answer...
Rick