[ncl-talk] NCL question [cannot create child process]

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 27 19:23:15 MST 2019

Hi,

Yes, you are definitely facing memory issues, and I don't understand enough
of your script to recommend a work around. The error is happening at this
line:

    #75:      files_1 = systemfunc("ls " + file_type + "_" + domain + "_" +
year + "-" + month + "*")

which as you likely know means that the system can't fork another bash
process to run the "ls" command. And it appears that it happens on the
third time through the loop over dimsizes(mm). We've seen this sort of
thing before, and it always means the system is terribly memory taxed, and
something sooner than later will raise a signal 12 -- just happens to be
the systemfunc() call in your case.

I see that after the loop over dimsizes(mm), you write a NetCDF file.
Again, I don't understand your script enough, so this might not make sense,
but perhaps you might write smaller NetCDF files each time through the
loop, and then use a post-processing step (perhaps the NCO or CDO
operators) to concatenate the files together?

Wish I had a better answer...
Rick