[ncl-talk] Unstaggered to staggered

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 12 09:46:59 MST 2019

ESMF Regridding:   *http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml>

Likely, you have

Source grid:
   LAT[*], LON[*]

Destination (staggard) grids

XLONG_U[*][*],  XLAT_U[*][*]  [Note:   if 3D; xlatu = f->XLAT_U(0,:,:)

XLONG_V[*][*],  XLAT_V[*][*]

You will have to create separate U and V scripts.

The WRF grid is similar to the NARR grid: curvilinear

See:  ESMF_wgts_30.ncl
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/ESMF_wgts_30.ncl>

ESMF_29 also

====

Note that when zonal and meridional winds are interpolated to a new
location, they (technically) should be done together. Actually, *any*
vector pair  must be rotated together. However, almost all interpolation
methods ignore this. Something like,

   uNew = u*cos(rot) - v*sin(rot)
   vNew = u*sin(rot) + v*cos(rot)

Of course, you must provide the rotation angle (rot)
===
Good Luck