[ncl-talk] CAPE calculation via wrf_cape_2d function

Stavroula Stolaki sstolaki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 01:46:38 MST 2019

Dear all,
I want to use the wrf_cape_2d or 3d functions and I am searching for the
script with which the CAPE is calculated for this function. My goal is to
compare its values with CAPE calculated by another program for a comparison.

In the ncl description documentation it says:

This function uses the RIP
<http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/mm5/documents/ripug_V4.html> [Read/Interpolate/plot]
code to calculate potential energy (CAPE) and convective inhibition (CIN)
(in m**2/s**2 or J/kg) only for the parcel with max theta-e in the column
(i.e. something akin to Colman's MCAPE).

Could anyone shed some more light on Colman's MCAPE formula used both by
RIP and by ncl?

Best regards,
Stavroula Stolaki.