[ncl-talk] How to show P value and Trend on contour fill map?

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 13 15:06:43 MST 2019

Hi Atul,
In general, NCL denotes areas that are missing graphically by coloring them
white unless modified by the user. There are no white
areas on your trend plot, and thus I am guessing that NCL believes that the
plotted grid does not have any missing data. Note that in
the trend_manken documentation that missing values are not allowed to be
input into the function. If you do have missing data
(denoted by the _FillValue attribute) within your b array, and the b array
grid points are consistently missing in time,
I would use the where function to wipe out the results from trend_manken
over those areas that were missing:
mk=trend_manken(b,opt,0)
copy_VarCoords(aveg,mk)
mk1=mk(0,:,:)
mk2=mk(1,:,:)
mk1 = where(ismissing(b(0,:,:),mk1 at _FillValue,mk1)
mk2 = where(ismissing(b(0,:,:),mk2 at _FillValue,mk2)

The above coding assumes b at _FillValue, mk1 at _FillValue, and mk1 at _FillValue
are properly set, and that b(0,:,:) is representative of the
areas that need to be masked.

If that advice does not fix the issue reply to the ncl-talk email list.
Adam

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 2:47 AM Atul Saini via ncl-talk <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
wrote:

> Hi NCL,
>                I have modified the script and I think I am getting the
> right plot having modified the script.
>                If, I followed the right method to plot 'probability level'
> and 'trend value', please tell me why I am getting the value for the region
> having missing values.
>
> Regards,
>

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 2:56 PM Atul Saini <atulsainimail at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi NCL,
>>               I wrote the code to make map for P value and second for
>> Trend value. But, I can't understand the process of selecting P value at
>> the time of plot and Trend value.
>>
>> Please find the attached data file and script and suggest the way to plot
>> P value and Trend value.
>>

>> Regards,

Adam Phillips