[ncl-talk] how to plot a reference arrow legend (such as 4m/s) by using wmvect and wmvlbl function?

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Wed Dec 4 17:04:21 MST 2019

Hi Bingxue,
To search the ncl-talk archives you can simply enter your search term in
the search bar on the NCL website.

There is no way to create a reference vector similar to that created using
the gsn*vector plotting routines when you are using the wmvect procedures.
If you want the reference vector to look like it does for the gsn*vector
routines, I believe you have three choices:
1 - Use gsn_polyline_ndc/gsn_text_ndc to draw the vector/label yourself.
2 - Use Illustrator or similar software to add the vector/label outside of
NCL.
3 - Call gsn_csm_vector to draw a blank vector field and blank plot by
setting the vector color to the background (white), turn off all the
borders of the plot (tmXBBorderOn = False for example), turn off the
tickmarks (tmXBOn = False), and draw the plot with the customized reference
vector set using the resources you cited. This is the most tedious option,
but it is possible.

Hopefully that at least gets you going in the right direction. If you have
any further questions please respond to ncl-talk.
Adam