[ncl-talk] grib projection conversion

Micah Sklut micahs2005 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 11:35:16 MST 2019

Thanks.  Still having trouble with this one. I get a return array in meters
from the transform_coordinate function. It doesn't look like I can get
output in degrees, so in order to convert my existing lat/lon grid into the
new x/y coordinates in meters, I would have to convert my initial lat/lon
coords to meters, and then I could use linint2?

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 12:25 PM Rick Brownrigg <brownrig at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Yes, meters are the default units
>
> On Wednesday, December 4, 2019, Micah Sklut <micahs2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps it's converting to meters rather than degrees. The poles (90,
>> -90), come out as infinity, which makes sense for Mercator. I'll check out
>> the proj documentation to see what output options there are.
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:56 AM Micah Sklut <micahs2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. I'll look at ndtooned(), but I did get the function to work, it
>>> just returns values that are way outside of the expected lat/lon range.
>>>
>>> Here's what my script looks like:
>>>
>>> data = "~/wc_data/data/"
>>>
>>> gfsFile = data + "gfs/gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p25.f000.grb"
>>>
>>> f = addfile(gfsFile,"r");
>>> lat = f->lat_0;
>>> lon = f->lon_0;
>>>
>>> arraySize = dimsizes(lat) * dimsizes(lon)
>>> x = new( (/ arraySize /), double)
>>> y = new( (/ arraySize /), double)
>>> z = new( (/ arraySize /), double)
>>>
>>> latSize = dimsizes(lat)
>>> lonSize = dimsizes(lon)
>>>
>>> do j = 0, dimsizes(lat)-1
>>> coordStart = j * lonSize
>>> coordFinish = coordStart + lonSize - 1
>>> x(coordStart:coordFinish) = lon(:)
>>> y(coordStart:coordFinish) = lat(j)

--
Micah Sklut