[ncl-talk] A question on bootstrap functions

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 30 21:51:46 MDT 2019

The "method" used is brute force. Nothing fancy! See:

*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/bootstrap.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/bootstrap.shtml>

See the text section beginning with:

*A simple example of using sampling with replacement* t*o derive a
bootstrapped mean and 95% confidence limits. Here x(N):*

This shows that the statistic is calculated. The N statistics from
resampled data are sorted into ascending order.
The lower (say) 2.5% [*toint*(0.025*N) ]and upper [*toint*(0.975*N)] index
[subscripts] are used to extract the appropriate values.