[ncl-talk] systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=12]

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 26 09:45:13 MDT 2018

An error 12 on a linux OS is definitely an out of memory error:

    #define ENOMEM          12      /* Out of memory */

The difference between X11 and the other plot formats that write to a file
is that for the latter, a systemfunc() call is made to determine if the
output directory is writable. systemfunc() spawns a shell process to do its
work. You must be running right at the very limits of your machine's memory.

If there's opportunity to do so in your script, you might try "delete()"ing
any large variables that might no longer be needed at the time of plotting.
Otherwise, if you tell me the version of NCL you are using (ncl -v) I can
tell you a hack-ish way of temporarily getting around the problem.

Rick