[ncl-talk] mjo_wavenum_freq_season_plot

Sujata Mandke amin at tropmet.res.in
Wed Sep 19 00:31:46 MDT 2018

Dear NCL community,
Greetings!

 I am using NCL function  ”mjo_wavenum_freq_season_plot” to create wave number frequency spectra.
I had modified this function to make four panel plots in one page in a
single call to the function (plot attached with the mail).

The two vertical lines corresponding to 30 and 60 day period are
labelled using “gsn_add_text”.  The text 30d and 60d is written twice
on this vertical line overlapping with the spectra, thereby reducing the
 clarity. Thus,  text (30d and 60d) should be written only once at the
top of the line. Please suggest resource if any, for this text to
appear only once on the corresponding vertical line.

To solve the above issue, I had also tried alternate method of using
resource  - optPlot at dayLines=(/30,60/) and use this resource in a call
to function (which is modified for four panel plots in single call to function)
as follows
 “ mjo_wavenum_freq_season_plot (wf,wf1,wf2,wf3,nameSeason(ns), pltDir, pltType, pltName, optPlot)

However, after using this resource, text is not written on the two vertical
lines (corresponding to 30 and 60 day).  This resource may be just for
plotting vertical lines and is not meant for writing text on two vertical lines.

Before posting the question, i had gone through NCL-talk archives
and also searched resources for “gsn_add_text”, but found none.

I am using NCL version 6.4.0 on linux machine.
Please help in this regard.

Any suggestion would be of great help.
 Many thanks in advance.

With best regards
Dr. Sujata Mandke
Scientist, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology
Pune,INDIA.