[ncl-talk] plot a zoom map for regional curvilinear gridded data

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 10:17:44 MDT 2018

Hello,
if you're using NCL to project the data onto lat-lon (mpres at tfDoNDCOverlay= False) you should be able to zoom-in into the data by defining the corners of the projection. if that does not work it means there is something wrong in the script or the way the variables are defined.
Furthermore, try to assign lon2d and lat2d as attributes to the variable that you're plotting and not to explicitly define them as sfXarray and sfYArray so that NCL knows how to plot your variable.

> On 12. Sep 2018, at 08:30, Fearon, Dr. Matthew, Contractor, Code 7533 <matthew.fearon.ctr at nrlmry.navy.mil> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Was just curious if there’s a way to create a zoom map of regional gridded data. For example, I have a regional curvilinear model grid with 2d lat/longs that takes a stereographic projection. To map the full regional extent, I use the following set of resources. However, in order to plot a zoomed in area for this example, mp Min/Max Lat/LonF settings do not work and, I believe, sf Y/X End/Start SubsetV do not work either. Is the best approach to subset the data and the coordinates to new corners first using getind_latlon2d? And if I use this approach, does the new subset grid retain the original projection given that it will have new corners?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Matt
>

>     cnres at sfXArray                    = lon2d
>     cnres at sfYArray                    = lat2d
>
>     mpres at mpLimitMode               = "Corners"
>     mpres at mpProjection                = "Stereographic"
>     mpres at mpLeftCornerLatF        = lat[0,0]
>     mpres at mpLeftCornerLonF       = lon[0,0]
>     mpres at mpRightCornerLatF      = lat[ny-1,nx-1]
>     mpres at mpRightCornerLonF     = lon[ny-1,nx-1]
>
>     mpres at mpCenterLonF                = 11.
>     mpres at tfDoNDCOverlay              = False

Guido Cioni
http://guidocioni.altervista <http://guidocioni.altervista/>.org