[ncl-talk] overlay_11.ncl

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:17:29 MST 2018

Dear Jalal,

You sent your message over the weekend, which is why it was not answered
right away.

Are you getting any errors or warnings from this script? It's crucial to
include this information when you have a question about NCL.

Usually the reason why data doesn't appear on a map correctly is because
the lat/lon data being provided in the script is not correct for the data
you are trying to plot.

It looks like you are doing everything correctly, as you have these two
lines which tell NCL where to place the data on the map:

  res at sfXArray            = grid_lont        ; Required to tell NCL where
  res at sfYArray            = grid_latt        ; overlay data on globe.

Did you look at grid_lont and grid_latt?  I suggest doing a printMinMax to
make sure that the lat/lon values look correct:

printMinMax(grid_lont,0)
printMinMax(grid_latt,0)

These values should be around 23 latitude and 90 longitude, if this data is
over Bangladesh.

A useful debugging tool is to use the gsn_coordinates procedure to draw the
location of your grid_lont and grid_latt arrays on your map. For example,
after this call:

  plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,aqual,res)

add the lines:

mkres                = True
mkres at gsnCoordsLat   = grid_latt
mkres at gsnCoordsLon   = grid_lont
;mkres at gsMarkerSizeF = 5      ; may need to adjust this if markers are too
large or too small
gsn_coordinates(wks,plot,aqual,mkres)

For more information on gsn_coordinates, see some examples at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/datagrid.shtml
If you continue to have problems, then it would really help if you could do
one or more of the following:

Provide the output from doing a printVarSummary and printMinMax on all the
variables you are trying to plot *and* grid_lont and gridlatt.

Provide the full script and the data. If the data is > 2 MB, then put it
somewhere that we can download it, or use ftp:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ftp_files.shtml

Thank you,

--Mary