[ncl-talk] Iterating through folders and grid cells to create a maximum value map

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 15 15:23:35 MST 2018

Hello,

We recommend that people "new to NCL" read the User Manual

*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/>*

Specifically:
*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/NCL_User_Guide/NCL_User_Guide_v1.1_Legal.pdf*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/NCL_User_Guide/NCL_User_Guide_v1.1_Legal.pdf>

----
*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/systemfunc.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/systemfunc.shtml>
To get different directory names

*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfiles.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfiles.shtml>
Please read about the* 'join' *type

*---*
Your data

netcdf MWP_2009060_100W050N_2D2OT.fract_wet {
dimensions:
    lon = 80 ;
    lat = 80 ;
variables:
    float *Band1(lat, lon) ;*

===
Carefully read
*:*
*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dim_max_n_Wrap.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dim_max_n_Wrap.shtml>

*===*
Write netCDF: Read
*https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/write_netcdf.shtml*
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/write_netcdf.shtml>

Use simple ("inefficient") method to write netCDF
===
I am attaching a sketch. I do not know the structure of your directories.
You must figure out the correct way to access them