[ncl-talk] Regarding vertically integrated Moisture flux divergence

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 29 07:30:45 MDT 2018

I have not spent much time on this.

[1] You are integrating using hPa as opposed to Pa [ a factor or 100[]
[2] You are using monthly mean quantities. While 'mechanically' you can do
this, it is not the correct methodology. Quantities like *u*q* and *v*q *are
*nonlinear*. The correct approach is to use the very high frequency [say,
6-hrly or, at least, daily mean values of u, v and q] and compute the
monthly means from the products of those quantities. Using the monthly mean
U, V, Q *might* yield reasonable patterns but the numbers are not the
correct ones.

Cheers