[ncl-talk] systemfunc issues in NCL Scripts

Amarjiit Vikkas Pandde amarjiitpandde at email.arizona.edu
Wed Jun 20 01:30:44 MDT 2018

Hello all,

I am using ESMValTool (1.1) on Ubuntu(16.04) on Windows 10 WSL, I
downloaded NCL(6.4) from anaconda (Conda-forge). After ESMValTool
installation (clone from GitHub), I ran the test runs for SA-Monsoon, which
ran without any major error(fatal), I have attached the screenshot below
for some warnings which were thrown. Now, I am trying to run other
namelists and it is throwing errors in many NCL scripts and after looking
into the errors from each script, it is always due to systemfunc command.

The systemfunc command randomly returns "missing" as output to the assigned
variable and this causes errors in toint and logical operations.

After this, I ran the test-SA-Monsoon namelists again and two of them also
give systemfunc related errors. So I deleted the ESMValTool directory,
uninstalled Ubuntu and reinstalled everything again(same process). again,
test runs ran fine whereas while running namelists other than that the
errors related to systemfunc cropped up.

After searching online, I found out about default shell of Ubuntu is dash
and systemfunc tries to invoke Bourne shell by "/bin/sh" and in the recent
versions of Ubuntu /bin/sh refers to Dash instead of Bash. So, I tried
adding "bash -c 'cmd' " as shown on NCL website but that didn't help.
when NCL is run from the command line the same systemfunc command works.

Thank you in advance
Amarjiit Pandde