[ncl-talk] overlay pbl and dust in same height vertical axis

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 14 08:43:40 MDT 2018

It is hard to debug this particular script without having access to the
data so we can run it. Also, the script is rather involved and it's hard to
tell what state the variables are in by the time you getting to the
plotting section.

However, one thing I would recommend is to use the gsn_csm_xxxx functions
instead of the gsn_xxxx functions, as they make more use of the metadata.

Try changing these calls:

       pmfill    = gsn_contour(wks,pm,resdust)
       windfill  = gsn_contour(wks,spd,uv_res)
       tkefill   = gsn_contour(wks,tke1,restke)

       pmfill    = gsn_csm_contour(wks,pm,resdust)
       windfill  = gsn_csm_contour(wks,spd,uv_res)
       tkefill   = gsn_csm_contour(wks,tke1,restke)

In order to overlay multiple plots on a base plot properly, each plot must
have its X and Y axes coordinates well-defined.  The X and Y axes can be
defined by sfXArray and sfYArray or by metadata (i.e. coordinate arrays)
that are attached to your data.

You set sfXArray in one place, and sfYArray in another place, but it
doesn't look like this is occurring consistently for all plots. This may be
why the overlay is not working properly.

In order to understand overlays better, I suggest visiting this page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/overlay.shtml

If you continue to have problems, then it would help if you provide a
cleaned-up script and the data file.  You can use our ftp for the data file:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ftp_files.shtml

First try to fix your script and visit the overlay page for some help.

Good luck,

--Mary