[ncl-talk] NCL program crashes with segmentation fault

Andrew Kren - NOAA Affiliate andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Sat Jul 28 09:31:28 MDT 2018

Dear ncl-talk,

I have a script (attached) that runs through a cron job. It grabs the dates
from a bash script. After that, it computes the 700 mb temperature anomaly
from a previously created CFSR dataset that was regridding to the NAM 2d
lat/lon resolution. It then creates plots of these anomalies for three
regions (US, regional, and Colorado). After each plot, it crops the file
and converts to png, and adding a logo using convert and composite using
the system command.

The program runs fine up to hour 24. However, I notice the memory in my
computer successively goes down after each hour. When it gets to hour 30,
it stops with a segmentation fault, which I take it is a lack of memory as
the free memory at that point is 50 MB.

I apologize for the un-clean code. I was doing several testing prior to
cleaning up to see if deleting certain variables would fix the issue - it
didn't. I also tried modifying the contour levels to less levels, which
also did not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions how it could be better optimized?

Andrew Kren
Assistant Scientist
CIMAS - NOAA/AOML
314-322-0867