[ncl-talk] variable name in netCDF file

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 24 06:48:44 MDT 2018

The reason why the following fails

    x = f->lwp37_mid-high_daynight_mon

is that NCL interprets the '-' as an algebraic operator (subtraction).
Think:

  x = f->lwp37_mid  *-*  high_daynight_mon

It looks for the variable 'lwp37_mid' which does not exist.

---
Other examples:

   x    = f->*$"*ice cream+oreo-cookies...yummy!*"$*  ; direct

   xNam = *"*ice cream+oreo-cookies...yummy!*"*
   x    = f->*$*xNam*$*
---
                            ; predefine desired variables
   vars = (/"T","U","V"/)   ; array of strings
   nvar = dimsizes(vars)

   do n=0,nvars-1
      x = f->*$*vars(n)*$*
      [snip]