[ncl-talk] Using NCL to Average Over Grid Cells

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 13 16:33:00 MDT 2018

Stuart,

Were these plots generated with NCL? They look like Excel or similar to me.

Your VIC data has rectilinear lat / lon coordinate arrays which means you
can easily slice the data by a lat / lon pair, like (45.4375,-96.4375) and
do an XY plot.

With the LIS data, however, the lat / lon arrays are 2D and they contain
lots of missing values, so when you created the XY plot across
45.4375,-96.4375 using what looks like Excel, I'm not sure exactly what you
were plotting. I see from your lat/lon data that index 0 of lat and 25 of
lon is equal to 45.4375 and -96.4375.  When I create plots at this time
slice, however, they don't look the same to me (see timeseries.000005.png
attached).

Note: the VIC data goes from 1/1/1999 to 3/30/1999, but since there are
only three LIS files, the data only goes from 1/1/1999 to 1/3/1999. You'll
see this on the plots, where the orange curves only have three points.

In order to understand your question, we have to better understand the
original plots you created, and why you think they should be the same.

I modified both of your codes quite a bit and combined them into one, so
you could better see the individual plots and the overlaid plots.

See attached script and images. Hopefully this will help you figure things
out.

--Mary