[ncl-talk] Polymark Draw Order In Panel Plots

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 10 12:17:30 MDT 2018

Hi Nick,
Draw orders can be tricky, especially in this case when multiple layers
have to be drawn in precisely the right order, and there's only 3 settings
possible in the *DrawOrder resources.
Try:
res at cnFillDrawOrder             = "PreDraw"
res at mpFillDrawOrder = "Draw"
res at mpOutlineDrawOrder = "PostDraw"
mres at tfPolyDrawOrder= "PostDraw"
if that doesn't work try switching the mpOutlineDrawOrder  to  "Draw"

Let ncl-talk know if that doesn't work. If it doesn't, it might be best to
send along the complete graphics section of your script.
Adam

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 12:02 PM Bassill, Nicholas <nbassill at albany.edu>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     I hope I have an "easy" question. I'm paneling some (HRRR) model data,
> and I'd like to overlay some polymarkers signifying actual observations for
> the first forecast hour, where data is available. This plot looks like:
> http://operations.nysmesonet.org/~nbassill/sample/mediandewpoint.png (you'll
> note the dots on the map for 11 am).
>

> My question is "How can I have these polymarkers on top of the map
> outlines?"
>

> I've played around with some draw orders and framing, but nothing seems
> like it works (or maybe it does work, but NY isn't masked out).
>

> Here's the crude outline of relevant steps (I don't regularly use panel,
> so I can't be confident these are all needed):
>

> -------
>

> ... (earlier code)
>
> res at gsnDraw  = False
> res at gsnFrame = False
>
> res at mpOutlineOn             = True
> res at mpFillOn              = True
> res at cnFillDrawOrder             = "PreDraw"
>

> plot = new(15,graphic)
> do i=0,14
> plot(i)= gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,data(i,:,:),res)
>
> end do
>

> (polymarker section, including: mres at tfPolyDrawOrder= "PostDraw")
>

> (panel resource stuff)
>

> gsn_panel(wks,plot,(/4,4/),panelres)

> Any assistance would be very much appreciated!
>

> Nick Bassill, PhD
>
> Modeler & Meteorologist, Center Of Excellence (Prior: NYS Mesonet)
>
> LC SB-28, 1400 Washington Ave.,
>
> SUNY, University at Albany, NY 12222
> (518) 442-6375
> NYSM Products: http://operations.nysmesonet.org/~nbassill/