[ncl-talk] 3D scatter plot in NCL 6.4.0

G.Monte at isac.cnr.it G.Monte at isac.cnr.it
Tue Jul 10 08:35:32 MDT 2018

Dear NCL Users,
I am struggling with 3D-plotting some reflectivity data coming from GPM-Ku
radar (the dataset /NS/SLV/zFactorCorrected in the file
GPMCOR_KUR_1711051605_1738_020956_L2S_DU2_05A.h5) for a tornado case
study.

In this file, the field "zFactorCorrected" depends on (nscan,nray,nbin):
1) nscan is the number of satellite scans on its orbit; for this case
study, I set it fixed, i. e. nscan=4917
2) nray represents the number of IFOV displaced along the entire satellite
swath, with values spreading from 0 to 48
3) nbin varies from 0 to 175 and it represents a sort of vertical
coordinate for each ray

My original idea was to perform a 3D scatter plot, by arranging on the
x-axis/y-axis the values of latitude/longitude directly extracted for
nscan=4917 and nray along the satellite swath; on the z-axis the values of
nbin (expressed into "m" or "km").
I read something in NCL template pages, but I was not able to find a
suitable function for plotting the already mentioned field
"zFactorCorrected", so I just cannot provide a reviewing script at the
moment.
Any suggestion or contribution will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Giulio Monte