[ncl-talk] Contour plot fill error with low values

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 04:13:47 MDT 2018

Dear all,
I've been struggling with this problem for a while now, and that led me to believe that I may have discovered a bug or at least an unexpected behaviour.

Little bit of background. I process NWP model output daily for my website and among the multiple plots that I do with NCL there is one that uses mid- low-level clouds, precip. and snow on the same map. Now, what happens sometimes is that values of either rain or snow are really small or even 0. Although I have fixed explicit levels, this causes the plotting routine to produce the warning

warning:ContourPlotSetValues: Data values out of range of levels set by EXPLICITLEVELS mode

and fill the entire contour area with a single color, as you can see in the animation that I'm attaching. This basically covers everything on the plot, making any interpretation of the results impossible. I think that, even in the case of low values, the entire area should stay transparent...

Is there any way to fix this?

I'm attaching an example script.

Cheers

Guido Cioni