[ncl-talk] Trouble plotting 2D lat/lon data from NSIDC

Anne anne.seidenglanz at unive.it
Mon Oct 23 14:06:15 MDT 2017

Hi Rick,

thanks for getting back to me. I do get a plot which however looks
distorted (see attached).
Yes the xgrid and ygrid are the x-offset and y-offset in meters of the
projection grid centers (taken from http://nsidc.org/data/
G02202#daily-projection-var, under the tab 'user guide').

For example reading in the latitude gives the following:

Variable: latitude
Type: double
Total Size: 1089536 bytes
            136192 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes: [ygrid | 448] x [xgrid | 304]
Coordinates:
            ygrid: [5837500..-5337500]
            xgrid: [-3837500..3737500]
Number Of Attributes: 5
  standard_name : latitude
  long_name : latitude
  units : degrees_north
  valid_range : (  0, 90 )
  _FillValue : -999

and equivalent for longitude. Printing the single values gives reasonable
results:
(0) 31.9602770108575
(1) 32.1115587186697
(2) 32.2628753734599
(3) 32.4142244216501
(4) 32.5656032790591

However there remains a problem with the plotting:
 "warning:ScalarFieldSetValues: 2d coordinate array sfXArray has an
incorrect dimension size: defaulting sfXArray" comes when I set
'res at sfXArray' and 'res at sfYArray'
 Without setting these resources:
"(0) check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a valid
latitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all."
So definitely there is a problem with the coordinates. I don't which
function or resource can handle this problem in NCL.
I attached also the printVarSummary of the sea ice concentration variable.

thanks in advance
Anne