[ncl-talk] Problem with overlay procedure

Anne anne.seidenglanz at unive.it
Mon May 29 03:47:38 MDT 2017

Hi everybody,

I have a problem overlay-ing two contour fields on a map plot (see script
attached). The final purpose is to mask out a specified area on a global
triangular grid (simply consisting of ones and zeros), and to create a
buffer zone around the area for physical reasons. Creating the mask itself
is no problem, but when I want to overlay the layers for creating the
buffer zone (for which each layer is just slightly bigger than the
following one), NCL just plots me the last overlaid field. So when I do
(here an example of 2 contour fields on top of each other):

    map_plot  =  gsn_csm_map(wks, mpres)
    chla_plot =  gsn_csm_contour(wks, chla, res2)
    buff_plot = gsn_csm_contour(wks, buff, res)

    overlay(map_plot, buff_plot)
    overlay(map_plot, chla_plot)

then only 'chla_plot' is successfully overlaid on the map plot, but not
'buff_plot' (which is bigger in spatial extent than 'chla'). There are some
error messages regarding resources that cannot be used but because I can
successfully plot each field on top of the map plot separately (apart from
the red line when plotting 'buff'), I assume they are not important.

A few things to note:
0) Both chla and buff have associated coordinate arrays.
1)  gsn_csm_contour_map_overlay did not work either, it plots only 'chla'
and some strange contour labels for 'buff', but distorted.
2)  switching off the satellite projection did not make any difference
3)  I can plot each field ('chla' and 'buff') separately overlaid on the
map successfully
4)  I have also tried to use gsn_csm_contour_map but because I can use this
only as my base plot, the overlaid contours (chla and buff) look disorted
using gsn_csm_contour.

Anybody any idea? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Anne

--
"Nota automatica aggiunta dal sistema di posta.
Please note that the above message is addressed only to individuals filing