[ncl-talk] Regridding GFS rectilinear grid to Polar Stereographic regional grid

Andrew Kren - NOAA Affiliate andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Wed Oct 26 16:21:28 MDT 2016

Dear ncl-talk,

I have a code where I want to do a a difference in precipitation between
the observed precipitation and model output from the GFS model. In order to
compute the difference I regrid the data using rgrid2rcm_Wrap. The observed
precipitation is on a polar stereographic 2d lat/lon grid. When I did the
regridding, I am getting missing values at all locations. Is this not the
best way to regrid the data?

The issue is that the observed data is on either a CONUS grid, or an Alaska
grid, but both are grib files with a defined grid. Should I use ESMF. I
attached the code and the 'exit' statement is where I stopped to try to
print out the values after computing the difference of gfs precip minus
observed precip. I am not sure the best way to go about doing this
comparison.

Andrew Kren, PhD
Research Scientist I, Global Observing Systems Analysis (GOSA) Group
NOAA ESRL Global Systems Division (Rm 3C515)
325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305
(303) 497-5418