[ncl-talk] Wind_vector_query

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Fri Jun 24 06:46:15 MDT 2016

Kunal,

The plot function you reference is labeled **vector**, thus it plots a
vector. The i (or x, or longitude) direction is independent from the j (or
y, or latitude) direction. The two combine in each of their directions to
make a vector, as a gsn_csm_vector plot would be expected to do. The
function is defined such that the first variable given is in the i
direction, and the second variable is in the j direction. So yes, changing
the ordering of the variables your provide the function is effectively
rotating your grid, and yes, that changes the direction of your vectors.

NCL has separate functions for wind speed and wind direction, if that is
all you are looking for. Neither of those quantities are vectors, however,
and would be best plotted by a regular gsn_csm_contour plot.

Kyle