[ncl-talk] NCL and El Capitan

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Wed Jun 15 12:25:19 MDT 2016

I just installed NCL on 10.11 on a fresh laptop and got it working straight away with no issues using brew / brew cask package manager.  https://caskroom.github.io

once home-brew is installed it’s as simple as

brew cask install ncar-ncl

The git repo was updated yesterday to acknowledge that the 10.10 version works with 10.11 so if you already had brew make sure you update first.

The environment variables that are listed in the `brew cask info ncar-ncl ` which worked for me
 are the obvious
 	export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local/ncl-6.3.0
	export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:"$PATH”
and
 export DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH=$(dirname $(gfortran --print-file-name libgfortran.3.dylib)):$DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH

This install the 10.10 version which seems to work fine on 10.11.  Have had it running on my main computer since 10.11 came out without issue.
brew will install both gcc and xquartz as dependencies, if they are not installed/found already.

Alan