[ncl-talk] Skew T wind barbs

Kacie Shourd Kacie.Shourd at dri.edu
Wed Jun 15 10:56:47 MDT 2016

Hi, NCL-talk!

Is there a way to make the wind barbs in a given plot (specifically in the Skew T plot) thicker for easier visibility in a publication-sized image?

I have tried the following, based on what I’ve found online, but nothing seems to work:

      dataOpts at vcWindBarbLineThicknessF= 4.0
      dataOpts at WindBarbLineThicknessF = 4.0

I have also attempted to muck with this bit of code in the skew t background:
      gsOpts = True
      gsOpts at gsLineColor       = "Foreground"
      gsOpts at gsLineThicknessF  = 1.5
      gsOpts at gsLineDashPattern = 0
      gsOpts at gsMarkerIndex     = 4   ; "hollow_circle"=> std pres
      gsOpts at gsMarkerColor     = "Foreground"

and
      gsOpts at gsMarkerIndex     = 16     ; "circle_filled" -> Pibal
      gsOpts at gsMarkerSizeF     = 0.007 ; 0.007 is default
      gsOpts at gsMarkerThicknessF= 1.0    ; 1.0 is default

but the markers referred to are the circles along at P & h levels along the y-axis. The line referred to is the axis itself.

I can edit the thickness of every other line and marker I need, with the exception of the wind barb.

In some of the supplemental Fortran documentation ( http://www.ncarg.ucar.edu//supplements/wmap/index.html#HEADING1-139<http://www.ncarg.ucar.edu/supplements/wmap/index.html#HEADING1-139> ) there is this from WMAP:

“WBS specifies the size of the wind barb shaft; WBT specifies the length of a wind barb full tick mark; BLW specifies the line width scale factor to use in drawing wind barb lines.”

Is there any way to access this functionality in NCL?
Attached are my script, an updated skewT background script, and the current image output.

Thanks in advance,
Kacie
---
Kacie N. Shourd
드림

Graduate Research Assistant
Desert Research Institute
Kacie.Shourd at dri.edu<mailto:Kacie.Shourd at dri.edu>
Work: (775) 674-7049

PUBLIC RECORDS NOTICE: In accordance with NRS Chapter 239, this email and responses, unless otherwise made confidential by law, may be subject to the Nevada Public Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request.