[ncl-talk] Running the NCL code becomes slower

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 26 12:08:47 MDT 2015

This type of behavior *may* be  associated with a memory leak. However,
more information is needed.

[0]
Please *always* include what version of NCL you are using.

[1]
As noted by Walter, multiple embedded do loops (you have 5 levels) in any
interpreted language  (NCL, Matlab, Python, R, ...) will lead to slow
execution times.  Again, as noted by Walter, you may have to 'rethink' your
approach to obtaining the variable.

[2]
You have provided no indication of the format of the SEVERI files you are
using.

The only SEVERI file in the NCL archive is a HDF5 file.  It has no variable
named 'Cloud_Optical_Thickness_16'. You may point ncl-talk to a WWW
location from which some sample SEVERI files of the the type you are using
may be obtained. Or you can ftp some files to:

   ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
   anonymous
   email
   cd incoming
   put ... SEVERI_file_01...
   put ... SEVERI_file_02...
   quit

[3]
As NCL gains more experience with handling HDF5, there have been
*significant* improvements in handling HDF5 (H5) files over the last few
NCL releases. See the following which document HDF5 improvements.

    6.3.1:    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/future_release.shtml
                 Not yet released **but** a test binary is **available**

    6.3.0 and previous releases:
                 http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml

In particular, 6.3.1 seems to be fairly robust.