[ncl-talk] Trouble with GFS grib table

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 25 16:41:28 MDT 2015

Hi Walter,
Well the GFS analysis is not static. New parameters are added from
time to time. NCEP updates their GRIB tables as the need arises as
well. The tables that NCL uses are updated periodically to incorporate
changes that NCEP makes, but there is necessarily a lag since for now
at least this is a manual process.
In this case, the message about parameter 191 in NCEP table 133 does
indicate a new parameter that NCL has not yet incorporated. For the
record, the docs
(http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html#TABLE133) say
this parameter represents "Sunshine Duration" with units of seconds.
The other messages document a record in the file that will never have
a name. GRIB 1 generally uses the number 255 to mean "missing". So in
this case there is both a table with the "missing" designation and in
that table there is a parameter that is "missing". I have no idea what
this record is supposed to represent or why it appears. NCL is just
letting you know about it. Perhaps the GFS folks could explain its
purpose.
 -dave