[ncl-talk] question regarding Butterworth filter

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Mon Jun 15 17:43:40 MDT 2015

Danny,

The documentation for this filter says that it is optimized for narrow
bandwidths.  The description goes on to mention certain shortcuts in its
calculations.  Your settings describe a low pass filter with a very wide
pass band, far to one end of the signals in your time series.  This is not
what is meant by "narrow bandwidth".

This is just speculation, but I think your settings may be breaking key
assumptions within this filter's code implementation.  You may have chosen
a filter function that is badly matched to your particular problem.
Perhaps, look at some of the other available NCL functions.  HTH.

--Dave

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Daniel Barandiaran <dbarandiaran at gmail.com