[ncl-talk] fileattdef seg fault on CESM LE files

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 4 15:55:37 MDT 2015

Hi David,

Assuming you have just logged into yellowstone and you have not
modified the module status following the initial
"Restoring modules to system default" you (or anyone with access to
yellowstone) can run the latest dev version of NCL with the following
settings:

module swap intel gnu/4.7.2
export NCARG_ROOT=/glade/p/work/haley/dev/ncl-trunk-gnu472-opt
export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH

(bash syntax -- modify as appropriate for csh)

As far as the error is concerned, it was simply a typo in the function
that gets basic information from a file, including the names of the
global attributes. This function is specific to NetCDF4 or other
"advanced" file types. It is called from the fillattdef function.
Ironically, the error was in the part that gets the names of the
variables in the file -- it never reached the section that gets the
global attribute information.
 -dave