[ncl-talk] NCL and NetCDF4 attributes: NC_STRING vs NC_CHAR problem

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 31 13:54:11 MDT 2015

Hi Christian,
If you are outputting NetCDF4 only to take advantage of its
compression abilities and are not using advanced type features of
NetCDF4 then you can use the NetCDF4Classic format. Otherwise we do
not currently have a way to specify that attributes be written using
the NC_CHAR type with NetCDF4. We can certainly add this as an option
but it will probably not happen immediately.
 -dave