[ncl-talk] Fix topography contour in animation

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 31 13:04:06 MDT 2015

Sebastian,

Please see a new example I just created, which generates an animation of
filled contours of a data field across time, over filled contours of a
terrain map.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/animate.shtml#ex3

The terrain map is static for each time step, while the reflectivity
changes. The animate_3_1.ncl script is the more traditional way of
generating the contours, like you are currently doing, while the
animate_3_2.ncl and animate_3_3.ncl use "setvalues" and/or
"NhlRemoveOverlay" to speed things up.

I didn't get a lot of speed up with the "faster" versions of this script,
because the field I contoured was relatively small and I "only" had 97 time
steps.  If you have more time steps or your terrain map is particularly
large, then you might get better speed up with animate_3_2.ncl or
animate_3_3.ncl.

I may attempt a panel plot of this same script but at different levels,
just to see if I better illustrate the speed up better.

--Mary