[ncl-talk] Regrid ECMWF to an equal-area grid (EASE) for SOM

Mattias Cape mcape at whoi.edu
Mon Jul 20 06:05:43 MDT 2015

Hi,

I am working with ECMWF ERA-40 data (2.5 x 2.5º grid, example attached), using self organizing maps to look at patterns of variability in synoptic atmospheric circulation.  These datasets are typically regridded to an equal area grid (250 x 250 km for example) to allow for uniform spatial sampling prior to analysis (e.g. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2006JD007460/abstract).

I’ve been having trouble defining the gridding parameters to accomplish this. There are several examples on the NCL website demonstrating how to use ESMF software, but I am unsure how to define the destination (EASE) grid. I am only working with a spatial subset of the ERA-40 dataset covering the region 85°N 80°W 40°N 0°E.

If anyone has any insight into how to accomplish this regridding, or at least how to define the destination grid, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Mattias