[ncl-talk] gsMarkerOpacity != 1. and MarkerIndex 16 or 1

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Tue Dec 2 12:35:10 MST 2014

Dear All.

Problem:
When combining gsMarkerIndex 16 with gsMarkerOpacity < 1.0 a small but sometimes significant perimeter circle is drawn with Opacity = 1.0. Leaving a bold perimeter around the marker.
Maybe this is the desired behaviour?

Code and Examples:

wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf","test")
res = True
res at gsnDraw = False
res at gsnFrame = False
plot = gsn_blank_plot(wks, res)
gs_res = True
gs_res at gsMarkerIndex = 16
gs_res at gsMarkerSizeF = 0.14
gs_res at gsMarkerColor = "Red"
mark1 = gsn_add_polymarker(wks, plot, 0.3, 0.3, gs_res)
gs_res at gsMarkerOpacityF = 0.6
mark = gsn_add_polymarker(wks, plot, 0.5, 0.5, gs_res)
draw(plot)
frame(wks)

test.pdf   <- zoomed in from the above code. On the semi transparent marker the perimeter is evident.  This is normally not noticeable however.
example.png  <-  map with lots of polymarkers on it.  The bold perimeter becomes rather evident in this use.

Solutions?
	gsLineOpacity does not seem to influence the perimeter line.

	I guess I should be using MarkerIndex 1 instead of 16  MarkerIndex 1 also does the same thing.  After testing it at the end of this email.

Thanks,

Alan.

P.s. Apologies if this comes thru twice, the first version had a pdf which was too large.

--
Alan Brammer
PhD Candidate — African Easterly Waves and TC genesis