[ncl-install] Problems installing NCL on Windows 10 Linux Bash shell

Muhammad Yunus Ahmad Mazuki ukm.yunus2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 19:40:19 MST 2021

Hi,

You can no longer install libgfortran3 through apt in Ubuntu 20.04, even if
it's under WSL. You can either try Ubuntu 18.04 or Ubuntu in Windows Store.
NCL needs something in libgfortran3 that is not available in newer
libgfortran in Ubuntu. It's best if you use the conda method in Ubuntu
20.04, https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml. If you need to
compile something else that uses ncl. such as RIP4.7, use "conda create -n
*ncl_stable* -c conda-forge ncl c-compiler fortran compiler cxx-compiler"
instead of just "conda create -n *ncl_stable* -c conda-forge ncl".

Yunus.