[ncl-install] Installation of PROJ.4 and GDAL libraries

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 26 11:34:29 MST 2021

Arturo, I think it will be okay to build PROJ.4 as shared/dynamic, rather
than static.

Now I see another problem with proj.  GDAL 3.2.1 wants to use proj 7, but I
think that NCL 6.6.2 has a fixed dependency on proj.4.  It appears to be a
single dependency in ncarg/ni/src/lib/nfp/TransformCoordinate.c.  It is
possible that proj 7 will satisfy this dependency without any changes, but
I have not verified that.  This would be worth testing, and let us know if
it works.

If not, then you might need to install two proj versions together, and deal
with possible conflicts in some way.  If proj 7 can satisfy that single
dependency, then you will need only proj 7, and there will be no
conflicts.  So that would be best if you can get it to work.  I think this
proj version problem is already solved by other packagers such as epel and
macports, but I do not know how they did it.

GDAL version 3 reduced the number of external libraries required by
default.  Therefore I think you can remove many of those *--without* flags
if you want to.  NCL uses GDAL to read only a limited subset of file
formats, such as shapefiles, so only a limited set of *--with* flags are
needed.  NCL contains its own drivers for popular formats like netcdf,
hdf4/5, and grib; these are not wanted from GDAL.