[ncl-install] Can not find "ncl" command about NCL-5.2.0

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 15 09:48:57 MST 2021

The documentation for your plotting package says that NCAR Graphics is
needed, but not a full NCL installation.  For NCAR Graphics only, I
recommend building the library from source.  Use the most recent release
version, 6.6.2.  Other pre-built binary versions might work, but they might
need you to resolve some other compatibility issues.

It might work to your advantage to build the NCAR Graphics library with the
same compiler version that you are using to compile and link the plotting
package.  This might avoid some known problems with mismatched runtime
library versions.

The configure script for the NCL/NCAR Graphics library is interactive.
Don't try to run this in batch mode without following the interactive
prompts.  The prompts will lead you through a series of yes/no questions
about what features to include.

For NCAR Graphics only, be sure to answer "n" when it asks if you want to
build NCL.  This will reduce the number of other external packages needed.
If you select this option, then there will be no "ncl" executable, only a
set of library files in $NCARG_ROOT/lib, as needed for your plotting
package.

Please see the "build from source" page for more details.
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml

There are also some recent source code patches that have not yet been
incorporated.  You might need some of these with newer compiler versions.
So if you run into build errors, you might look on the NCL/NCARG Github
site for clues, especially in some of the recent pull requests.  Good luck.