[ncl-install] Problem with idt (ncar-graphics) with debian 10

Andrea Buzzi A.Buzzi at isac.cnr.it
Wed Jan 8 10:18:06 MST 2020

Hi,
I have installed an (older - but the problem exists also with the most recent
version) of ncar-graphics, on a PC with debian 10 (buster), installed from
scratch. Them problem does not appear on another PC with buster installer
after an update from debian 9.

Typing: idt gmeta

the window appears, but with no image, and the output is:

reading stdout of translator: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character
Translator aborted
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 366 requests (366 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Any hint? (maybe a locales problem???)

Thanks a lot (I am a happy user of Ncar-graphics since more than 30 years ago)!
Best regards

Andrea Buzzi

Associate senior scientist
Istituto di Scienze dell'Atmosfera e del Clima - CNR-ISAC
Institute of Atmospheric Sciences and Climate - CNR-ISAC
Via Gobetti 101, I-40129 Bologna
email: A.Buzzi at isac.cnr.it