[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #101781] History for inquire about variables in NHC's TC stats v.s. METplus TC stats

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 19 09:27:17 MDT 2021

My name is Yan, and I am recently working on the comparison between the TC
products of NHC and METplus. Here is the list I made:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1th3Ix71dUhXHWc8jvxMIkF6hAQSK44xAhnNYNgVuXDM/edit#gid=0

The yellow columns are NHC's TC variables, and the green columns are
METplus's TC variables. Compared to NHC, in METplus some variables are the
same or can be easily calculated. However, some variables are non-existent
in METplus. For example, bias errors (kt), minimum center pressure bias
(hPa), intensity relative skill (%) relative to model #1/2/3/4/5, track
forecast skill (%) ,track standard deviation (nm), intensity FSP errors
(%), etc.

I wonder if we can plot the above variables using METplus? My understanding
is that, in METplus, as long as the variables exist in tc_pairs output
file, we can use those variables and plot the figures. Otherwise there is
no way to plot the variables. Is my understanding correct? Or if there are
other ways to plot those variables (generated by NHC but not currently
exist in METplus)?

Many thanks.
Best,
Yan