[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #98664] History for FAR and POFD

Minna Win via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 18 10:00:42 MDT 2021

Good evening,

We are in the process of incorporating FAR and POFD into our analysis.

In metviewer FAR stands for false alarm ratio.  However, some of us are
concerned that it is false alarm rate.  POFD looks as expected.  The
statistics converge to zero as there are less cases.  The divergence
between runs increases at the low-end as there are more cases (second
attachment).  Some of us think that the first plot is false alarm rate
rather than false alarm ratio. We would expect a higher rate of detecting a
false alarm for extreme events.  We believe that POFD and FAR should be
similar.  Can you confirm?