[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #99819] History for Having an issue running a PointStat job - Guidance welcome please

John Opatz via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 15 11:05:23 MDT 2021

Have probably just missed something off somewhere, or put a typo in somewhere, but was hoping someone would be able to assist in telling me what I am doing wrong. I am able to replicate the issue when I run the PointStat job through METplus and also through a MET standalone setup which is suggesting it is the data.

The error I am seeing is:
DEBUG 1: Forecast File: /scratch/cfrd/NGVER/ncdf_march/prods_op_gl-mn_20210302_00_012.nc
DEBUG 1: Observation File: /data/users/cfrd/METplus_Out/output/ascii2nc/lndsyn_2021030212.nc
WARNING: MetNcCFDataFile::collect_time_offsets(VarInfo &) -> Not found time out of 1.
ERROR  :
ERROR  : MetNcCFDataFile::collect_time_offsets(VarInfo &) -> variable "air_temperature" has unknown error (999).
ERROR  :

It suggests it is something to do with a time setting somewhere, but not sure what and where. I've been looking in src/libcode/vx_data2d_nccf/data2d_nccf.cc and it seems to be with he setting up of time information (using info within the netcdf file?), but my expertise with netcdf files is minimal.

Context:
Trying to run a PointStat job using a Netcdf file of observations created through ascii2nc and a Netcdf file of MetOffice UM data. The MetOffice UM data does work when running it through a GridStat job (which suggests the codebase does different things between GridStat and PointStat). The filenames show the initialisation time and forecast range, so in this example I am trying to run a 12hr forecast valid at 12Z on the 2nd March (note our day and month values maybe the other way around to what you are used to).
I have previously got this PointStat job to run using a GRIB1 forecast file and an observation file generated in the same way as just mentioned.

I have successfully run plot_point_obs and plot_data_plane for the two files in question (so have tested that out)

I have attached the METplus output from one of my attempts which was run with verbosity set to 5. I have also attached the offending netcdf file in case you can spot what is wrong with it. It seems as though it contains all of the information it requires, but I did find it interesting that when I examined it (using one of our office viewers) comparing it to other files which did appear to run OK in PointStat, I couldn't see the time information (although it suggests it is there with ncdump).
Have also included the file of observations I was trying to run with.

Any guidance welcome.

Regards
Rob