[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #97272] History for STAT file output

Minna Win via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 30 08:14:47 MDT 2020

Hi all,

Just have a quick question about how MET populates STAT files-as I'm writing a function to plot a timeseries of some metrics, but run into occasional gaps of missing data from the files.

As an example, I'm running point_stat for a variety of wind parameters (GUST, WIND, UGRD, VGRD) over several forecast 'thresholds' (e.g. >=4.47&&<8.94, >=8.94&&<13.41, >=13.41&&<17.88).

While working with the STAT file output, I've noticed that for some dates, the STAT file does not have entries for some parameters and/or forecast thresholds. For example: a forecast for October 1 would have 3 GUST entries (one for each threshold), October 2 would only have 1 (with, say, the >=4.47&&<8.94 threshold), and October 3 has no GUST entries in the STAT file output.

My assumption is, that if there are no forecasts and/or observations for a particular variable/threshold combination in the data, it is simply not written to the STAT file (versus writing missing or NA in place of the statistics). Is this correct?  I just want to clarify this, before I go digging through my data to see if there are any errors.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks, (again)!

-Tom

[https://firstenergycorp.com/content/dam/opcologos/emailsig/FE-logo.png]

Thomas Workoff
Sr Scientist
office: 330-436-1475 (850-1475)
tworkoff at firstenergycorp.com
341 White Pond Drive, Akron, OH 44320 | mailstop: A-WAC-C1 / AK-West Akron Campus

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.