[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95910] History for lack in date_list (date_range_list) understanding

Tatiana Burek via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 13 12:17:56 MDT 2020

Good morning,

I thought that I understood how to use the date_list as a shorthand option
for constructing the dates that should be grouped.  I'm in the process of
using a python script that I wrote to change my independent variable from
fcst_valid_beg to fcst_lead.  The construct of the xml looks exactly the
way I had imagined it.  I also group the following into fix fields:
fcst_init_beg, fcst_valid_beg, and vx_mask.  In metviewer the result would
look something like this (attachments 1 for plot and 2 for its xml file).

When I try to reproduce this result I get something like this (see
attachments 3 for plot and 4 for xml).  The only differences in the xml are
how I set the date.  You can see that in attachment 4 I use date_list for
both fcst_valid_beg and fcst_init_beg.  I then use idates and vdates in the
fix fields below.  Despite doing this, I get the plot that you see in
attachment 3, which I don't understand.

--
Edward Strobach
EMC/NCEP/NWS/