[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95349] History for Freetype (libpng not found)

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue May 26 13:11:18 MDT 2020

Hello:

As noted yesterday, I was able to successfully make/install MET9.0.1 (and
now 9.0.2) on a Debian 10 VM running in VirtualBox on a Windows 10 host.  I
was also able to make/install on a Linux host via QEMU/Virt-Manager running
a Debian 10 guest.

Enabling mode_graphics support, which in-turn requires Freetype and Cairo,
is misbehaving.  Although libpng was compiled and installed in
external_libs, Freetype can't find it and fails.

checking for ZLIB... no
> checking for gzsetparams in -lz... no
> checking for BZIP2... no
> checking for BZ2_bzDecompress in -lbz2... no
> checking for LIBPNG... no
> checking for libpng-config... no
> configure: error: libpng support requested but library not found
> make: *** [builds/unix/detect.mk:85: setup] Error 1

Note it can't find zlib either, but it's in the external_libs, too.

> *rob at METplusTest:~/MET/9.0.2/external_libs$ lsbin  bufrlib  freetype
>  g2clib  gsl  hdf5  include  jasper  lib  libpng  man  netcdf  share  zlib*

Do I need to export environment variables in install_met_env for freetype
to find 'em?

If I omit --enable-mode_graphics (and therefore Freetype and Cairo),
everything compiles just fine.

I was trying to think of a space-weather use-case for MODE graphics and I
could see it applied to our CTIPe MUF, ROTI, and GloTEC model products
since they produce "blobs" that can be tracked and compared to observations.
Not necessarily a show-stopper at this point, but should probably work it
out.

Freetype's configure.log is included as an attachment.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob Steenburgh <robert.steenburgh at noaa.gov>
Space Scientist