[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95357] History for How to plot attribute diagrams ?

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu May 28 14:06:20 MDT 2020

 *Hi Dear !*

*First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to your team,
especially to John Halley Gotway, for providing me the full support and
help to** solve the issues and that rise during my research. * *Now I can
create roc and attribute diagrams using a python script **f**rom**
probability **files**. *

*I want to make sure I am using the right variable. Please find in attached
file an example of the attribute diagram I created :*

   -

   *In the x axis**,** I have forecast probabilities : THRESH_**i* *in PJC *
   *line.*
   -

   *in the y axis**,** observed relative frequenc**y :* *I use ** BASER_**i
   values **found in PJC **line.*
   -

   *in the y axis (in the small window)**, for forecast** I use REFINEMENT_**i
   values found in in PJC **line.*
   -

   *t**o create no skill line I use BSS_SMPL **values fond in PSTD **line,*

*Is that correct ?*

*I have some other questions :*

   -

   *for precipitation I don’t have probabilities, **so to create roc
   diagrams I use the method suggested by * *John , **I use* *many
**observation
   and **forecast thresholds (>0, >2, >4, >6, >8, >10, >12, >14, >16, >18,
   >20 …..). **Can I create **attribute diagram**s in this case ? The
   difficulty I have her is how to create forecast probabilities (**THRESH_*
   *i* *) using **precip. **forecast thresholds.*
   -

   *I want **t**o use **the** Hira **technique for TMP, DPT… observations
   to create probability lines. Could you please shear with me an example of a
   configuration file with that method. *

*Thanking you most sincerely for your time and consideration. *

*Cordially, *

*Rachid Moustabchir *

Subject: How to plot attribute diagrams ?
From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Tue May 26 13:06:48 2020

Hi Rachid.

John Halley Gotway is best suited to answer your questions.
Unfortunately,
he is currently out of the office, but will be back later this week.
will assign this ticket to him.  Please allow a few business days upon
his
return for a response.

Julie

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 8:34 PM Moustabchir Rachid via RT

--
Julie Prestopnik
Software Engineer
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

My working day may not be your working day.  Please do not feel
obliged to

From: Moustabchir Rachid
Time: Tue May 26 14:06:38 2020

Ok.  Thank you very much

On Tue, 26 May 2020 at 19:06, Julie Prestopnik via RT

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu May 28 13:14:48 2020

Rachid,

I don't have any suggestions for how to use the data from your ROC
diagrams
to make an attributes diagram. Generally, the support we provide via
met-help is confined to the configuration and running of the MET tools
and
METplus Python wrappers.

Regarding HiRA, we run unit tests every night for the MET tools. The
config
files that we use for those tests live in the MET GitHub repository.
Here's
the Point-Stat config file we use to exercise the HiRA functionality:
https://github.com/NCAR/MET/blob/master_v9.0/test/config/PointStatConfig_APCP_HIRA

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 2:06 PM Moustabchir Rachid via RT

From: Moustabchir Rachid
Time: Thu May 28 13:21:21 2020

Thanks a lot John!

On Thu, 28 May 2020 at 19:14, John Halley Gotway via RT

<met_help at ucar.edu