[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #96175] History for Can CMORPH products of NETCDF format be applied in MET?

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 26 12:24:40 MDT 2020

To whom that could be concerned,
These days I have been trying FSS examination on MET-8.1.2 platform by employing CMORPH data downloaded from https://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds502.1/#!description, but little advances left  behind me. The issues are as follows:
1. Can this kind of netcdf format data be used directly in MET?  Is it necessary to re-edit the variable name? Such as, cmorph_precip in NETCDF structure should be renamed APCP or other else? I can not find any clues from the observation datasets description, https://dtcenter.org/community-code/model-evaluation-tools-met/input-data.  It seems to me that the MET can not read CMORPH precipitation products directly from the website, but I do not know how to covert it to meet the requirements. Please let me know it.
2. Should the data be re-organized by a single time? The raw datasets I download are organized by 8 observation frequency in a single file.
3. When I execute the grid_stat command using the NETCDF format file as observation data directly, it always pops up the following text:
DEBUG 1: Default Config File: /public/soft/met-8.1.1/share/met/config/GridStatConfig_default
DEBUG 1: User Config File: /public/soft/met-8.1.1/share/met/config/GridStatConfig_default
ERROR  :
ERROR  : parse_vx_grid() -> The forecast and observation grids do not match:
ERROR  : Projection: Lambert Conformal Nx: 711 Ny: 531 Lat_LL: 17.122 Lon_LL: -59.428 Lon_orient: -87.850 Alpha: 1269.303 Cone: 0.716 Bx:r 355.0641 By: 957.9183 !=
ERROR  : Projection: Lat/Lon Nx: 1440 Ny: 480 lat_ll: -59.875 lon_ll: -0.125 delta_lat: 0.250 delta_lon: 0.250
ERROR  : Specify regridding logic in the config file "regrid" section.
ERROR  :
The Lambert Conformal data is from the UPP processing of WRFOUT, and the Lat/Lon projection data is CMORPH precipitation product. From the reminder, I do not know how to fix the regrid section in the configuration file whatever setting to_grid to "NONE", "OBS" or "FCST". How to remap the projection of two kind of source data? Should I have to cut the coverage as regional model domain first? I feel the projection is the key issue from the above text, but I do not know how to make them consistent. Please let me know if my guess is right.
Thank you.
I am looking forward to your news.

With my best regards,

Yu Xin