[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #91999] History for Generating reliability diagram from ensemble_stat output

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 13 15:48:47 MDT 2019

Hello MET helpdesk,

I am working to compare the NSSL Warn-on-Forecast 18-member, 6-hour accumulated precipitation against Stage-IV-observed accumulated precipitation using MET tools  “pcp_combine”, “gen_vx_mask”, “ensemble_stat”, and “stat_analysis”. The goal is to be able to take the statistical output from ensemble_stat to generate a reliability diagram for accumulated precipitation thresholded for 6-hour totals >1". In my current understanding, “ensemble_stat” outputs the relative frequency of ensemble members matching or exceeding the threshold, but this is where I am stuck. I don’t see values that would be useful for plotting on a reliability diagram. My guess is that I would have to pass the netCDF ensemble file (e.g., ensemble_stat_20180720_090000V_ens.nc) through to the grid_stat tool, but I am not sure if this is the right approach. What should the next appropriate step be to generate statistics that would be useful in creating the reliability diagram?

I am still spinning up on my proficiency with MET and perhaps I am missing something along the way so before I proceed without making any missteps, any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Brian
Brian Matilla
Research Fellow— Warn-on-Forecast Team
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies — The University of Oklahoma
NOAA National Severe Storms Laboratory

Phone: (405) 325-1688