[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #91976] History for Question about using Point_Stat with MADIS2NC and PB2NC data files

Howard Soh via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 11 07:57:37 MDT 2019

I am using Met version 8.0 to compare my WRF runs over California to observations. I've been using PREPBUFR data and PB2NC to get my observations and then using point_stat to compare them to the UPP'ed WRF files, which has been working well.

Recently, I've been trying to use MADIS files from MESO to look at additional stations. I've run the MADIS2NC successfully for a select number of station ID's (using sid). So my next goal was to use both the PREPBUFR data (after running PB2NC) and the MADIS data (after running MADIS2NC) to compare my WRF output to both observation datasets.

I'm using the "-point_obs" option with point_stat to use multiple observation files for example:

point_stat wrf3DGRIB_d02_f003.grb pb2nc/PREPBUFR_GDAS_2019090800_f000_pb.nc -point_obs MESO_20190908_0300.nc configs/MET_configs/PointStatConfig -outdir . -v 2

My problem is that when I run my command, the MADIS data is not used, which I believe is due to my PointStatConfig file (point_stat config file) having the "obs_quality" setting. This setting, which I had as

obs_quality    = [ "0", "1", "2", "9" ];

is necessary for my PB2NC'ed files to be used, but if any of them are used then my MADIS2NC'ed files don't get counted. But if I set the array as empty, then my MADIS2NC'ed files are used, but not my PB2NC'ed files.

So my question is does anyone know how I can incorporate both observations for comparison to my WRF run in the point_stat calculations? It seems as though I wish I could use two different Point_Stat config files, one for MADIS and one for PREPBUFR, and then merge them together to then both be used in the overall point_stat statistical calculations. Any insight would be extremely helpful. If needed I can supply example data files.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best,
Jeremy